What You Need to Apply

What You Need to Apply

Homestead Exemption eligibility is based, in part, on the applicant’s income minus any out-of-pocket medical expenses. When you file for a Homestead Exemption, you will need the following information (if applicable):

Income Information

  • Federal Income Tax return (if filed, Form 1040, 1040A, 1040 EZ)
  • Social Security (Form SSA-1099)
  • Pension and annuities (Form 1099-R)
  • Interest and dividends (Form 1099-INT, Form 1099-DIV, Form 1099-OID)
  • Railroad retirement (Tier I – RRB-1099 and Tier II – RRB-1099-R)
  • IRA distributions (Form 1099-R)

Deductible Out-of-Pocket Medical Expenses

  • Medicare insurance premiums
  • Medicare prescription drug plan premiums
  • Supplemental health insurance premiums
  • Cancer insurance policy premiums
  • Nursing home insurance policy premiums
  • Payments to hospitals or licensed nursing care facilities
  • Payments to doctors, dentists, osteopaths, nurses, chiropractors, and other licensed medical practitioners
  • Payments for purchased medical equipment, crutches, hearing aids, eyeglasses, contact lenses, dentures, etc.
  • Prescription drug expenses (call your pharmacy for a total)

Applications are due June 30 of each year. Married applicants must report income for both spouses. Additional owner/occupants must each file a separate income statement. Income eligibility table is located at the bottom of the pink sheet of Form 458.

Please remember that your application will be for taxes payable for the following year.

Share This